Monday 21 July 2014

From Stairs to 5K - Shana’s Story

Shana Haberman
In March, our Patient Experience and Quality team at North York General started climbing the stairs of the hospital as part of the Step It Up! Challenge.  About 4 weeks ago, I decided to join them on these stair climbs. We try to go twice a day, mid-morning and mid-afternoon, from the ground floor to the ninth floor and back down. It only takes 5 minutes. When we arrive at the ninth floor with our heart rates up, we are invigorated and proud of our collective effort to improve our health in a busy work day. The group is welcoming and continues to grow in number.

For me, the stair climb has acted as a catalyst to seek out other wellness programs at the hospital. I’ve recently joined the Couch to 5K training team with Katherine for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront 5K Run/Walk. I’ve never done an organized run before, but I feel like I can do it because of the daily stair climb and weekly training sessions.

I’m celebrating a milestone birthday in September and running the 5K seems like a perfect way to mark the occasion – it will feel great to check this item off my bucket list. Doing something active and healthy also sets a great example for my three kids – particularly my two girls who are a bit older and benefit from having a strong female role model. It will be great to prove to myself that I can do it!

Along with the Wednesday training sessions, I’m trying to climb the stairs at North York General at least once, if not twice, a day. In addition, I’m doing two evening fitness classes a week – one is a core strengthening class (painful) and the other is Zumba (fun!). I’m going to try to start incorporating more independent walking/running as time allows. Last night, I recruited a neighbour to join me for these runs, and having her alongside will be a great motivator.

I’m happy to support North York General with my fundraising efforts for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Run/Walk. I can’t think of a better way to give back to a supportive workplace that actively promotes health and wellness.

Shana Haberman is the Project Coordinator for North York Central Health Link at North York General Hospital.

DISCLAIMER: The thoughts and opinions expressed here are those of the individual contributor(s) alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Hospital, the Foundation, or staff, physicians and volunteers of the organizations.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Shana, this is a great blog. I ran 5K as a North York General last year and had a blast. There's nothing more motivating and invigorating then setting and accomplishing a bucket list goal. And as a father of two lovely girls I can totally relate to your desire to be a strong positive influence in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shana, I am very proud of you. I would love to join you for the run this year. Wish you good health.

    ReplyDelete